Essential oils are traditionally used for relaxation and stress relief, but what if we told you they can also help improve your athletic performance?
From enhancing endurance to soothing sore muscles, we’re breaking down the 8 best essential oils to include in your training regime. The best part is they’re 100% natural and without adverse side effects!
1 - Peppermint -
Not only does peppermint improve mental alertness
, but the potent mint has also been proven to enhance athletic performance and endurance by keeping your blood pressure
and heart rate steady. You can also apply peppermint oil topically after a workout to mitigate muscle aches and pains.
2 - Lemon
- Commonly used to boost the immune system
and brighten moods
, lemon essential oil is great for athletes because it stimulates the nervous system
, awakens the senses, and can even be used as a natural cure for athlete’s foot. We also love how its scent freshens up musky athletic gear!
3 - Clove - Suffering from post-workout aches and pains? Clove essential oil has been proven to reduce inflammation, which relieves joint pain and aids in flexibility. Like lemon, clove also supports the immune system which can become compromised during intense training.
4 - Lavender
- Arguably the most versatile essential oil in the world, lavender is commonly used to relax the mind, relieve stress, and aid in restful sleep
, all of which support peak performance on game day. Additionally, lavender can be used to sooth bruises, cuts, and achey muscles.
5 - Vitality Breathe Easy
- Blend For hikers, climbers, and outdoor enthusiasts, Breathe Easy is the boost you need to conquer your next 14er. With eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, and lemon, the blend is formulated to clear sinuses and purify the air
while you’re exercising amongst outdoor allergens or at high elevations.
6 - Orange
- Hitting the gym early in the morning or after a long day of work? Get a natural boost of energy
with with the invigorating aroma of orange essential oil, which is also packed with powerful antioxidants to keep you in tip top shape.
7 - Helichrysum
- A strong anti-inflammatory,
helichrysum is your first defense in healing sports injuries, especially bruises or hematoma. It’s also an effective cure for leg cramps and chronic back pain
- you can either take a warm bath with a few drops of Helichrysum, or rub the diluted oil directly onto your skin.
8 - Vitality Deep Muscle
- We already talked about essential oils that can relieve sore muscles
on their own, but this amazing blend combines peppermint, wintergreen, eucalyptus, camphor, and chamomile to provide long-lasting relief from all your aches and pains
. Simply dilute with a carrier oil of your choice, apply directly to your skin, and you’re good to go!